The Friends of the Oberlin College Library have established a graduate library school scholarship in the amount of $3,500 that will be awarded each year to an Oberlin Graduate who has been accepted at an accredited school of library and information science. The scholarship may be awarded to any Oberlin graduate who shows promise in the field, but (in the interest of helping to diversify the library profession) some preference will be given to applicants from diverse cultural backgrounds. The scholarship recipient will be chosen by a committee composed of members of the Friends of the Library Council.
To apply for the Friends of the Oberlin College Library Graduate Library School Scholarship, please submit the following information:
1. Application Form. The application form is available from the Office of the Director of Libraries, Main Library, Mudd Center, 148 West College Street, Oberlin, Ohio 44074 and also in PDF format. Please complete the application form carefully and submit it to the office of the Director of Libraries at the above address. You will receive a confirmation that your application was received.
2. Personal Statement. Please submit a one-page statement that outlines your interest in librarianship and describes how a library education will aid in achieving your goals. This statement should be not more 300 words and should cover such topics as your past interest and work and your proposed field of study, including non-course educational experience, and volunteer work. Please indicate what specific competencies or characteristics you believe you have to offer the field of librarianship. Please describe your career interests and goals and your commitment to library and information service.
3. References. Two letters of reference. The reference form is also available from the Office of the Director of Libraries and in PDF format. Your references should be sent separately to the Director of Libraries by the person who fills it out.
4. Transcripts. An official Oberlin College transcript is required as part of your application. If you have transferred to Oberlin, you may also submit copies of an additional transcript (or transcripts) that document your undergraduate work.
5. Application Deadline. Application materials should be received by the Office of the Director of Libraries by July 15.