The Main Library has 32 laptops available for checkout from the circulation
desk on a first come, first served basis. Some of them are available to use outside the building and may circulate overnight.
are also available for loan from the Art, Conservatory and Science libraries.
- Laptops are intended primarily for short-term use by Oberlin College students. In addition, faculty and staff may use laptops for short, in-building use needs. Requests for extended laptop loans for faculty and staff are referred to the CIT and OCTET. A valid ID card is required for check-out.
Time Limits & Availability
- Laptops may be checked out from opening
until ½ hour before the library closes.
- The loan period is 4 hours, except
- overnight loans begin at 10 p.m. (6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday) and are
due at 11 a.m. the next day.
- library-use-only macbooks may not be taken out of the building and are due 20 minutes before closing when checked out less than 4 hours before closing.
- Laptops may not be reserved ahead of time.
- We ask users to wait 30 minutes before renewing or borrowing another laptop.
Fines & Liability
Borrowers are expected to return laptops in good working order and on time. Please report any problems you have with the computer immediately to the circulation staff. We urge you to check before you leave the desk area to confirm that the computer is working. We will bill you for repair charges if the item is returned damaged.
- Overdue fines are $5 per hour for each item (laptop, power adapter, computer case, dongle, etc.) checked out.
- We fine $20 for unauthorized overnight or out-of-building use.
- Borrowers will be billed $1500 immediately for the replacement cost
of a lost or stolen laptop computer.
All laptops have DeepFreeze software installed. This software will remove all user data and documents after the computer restarts or shuts down. Please e-mail all your work or save documents to your Stulocker to prevent loss of your work.