Famously Designed 05 August 2013
The detailed designs on Bosworth Hall, courtesy of architects Cass Gilbert and Cass Gilbert Jr., were borrowed from Mediterranean Romanesque church architecture. Designed and constructed from 1930 to 1931, the building initially housed the former Oberlin Graduate School of Theology. Now it is home to the college’s development and alumni affairs administrative offices.
Cass Gilbert, who studied historical styles and their adaption to modern purposes, was the consulting architect to the college. The versatile draftsman also designed Finney Chapel, Cox Administration Building, and Allen Memorial Art Museum. His talents stretched far outside of Oberlin: the Minnesota State Capital in St. Paul and the U.S. Supreme Court building, among others.
Photograph by Tanya Rosen-Jones