Student assistantships provide Oberlin students the opportunity to help in the
Education Office, perform professional research on the collection, or to prepare
a museum exhibition. Recent students, working with museum curators, have
assisted with exhibitions using a wide range of objects from the collection,
including photographs, Japanese prints, and old master and contemporary prints.
Others have created finding aids for archival materials and helped with classes
in the Print Study Room.
Student Assistant, Academic Programs
The Office of Academic Programs at the Allen Memorial Art Museum is seeking one part-time (12-14 hours/week) Oberlin College student assistant for the FALL 2015 semester (with the possibility of continuing into the spring semester) to help with College and Conservatory classes using the museum’s collection. The duties of the student assistants will include:
• pulling out, setting up, and putting away works of art from museum storage
• monitoring classes and ensuring the safety of the art during class visits
• conducting research on objects in the collection, art movements, periods, and artists
• research in preparation for future exhibitions and related events
• a variety of administrative tasks
Applicants must be very detail-oriented, highly responsible, capable of working independently, in possession of strong research and communication skills, as well as able to lift archival boxes and handle works with great care. Computer proficiency is needed, particularly Word and Excel. Applicants must have taken at least four art history classes. Please note that studio art or architectural history courses cannot be substituted for the required four art history classes. In conjunction with the AMAM’s yearlong exhibition theme “The Body,” greater consideration will be given to students with interdisciplinary academic background, especially in the sciences and social sciences.
Please submit the following documents in a single file via email to Curator of Academic Programs Dr. Liliana Milkova (firstname.lastname@example.org) BY 5 PM ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2015:
• One-page resume with GPA and a list of references (Oberlin faculty preferred)
• One-page cover letter with a brief summary of interest and abilities (please note that the letter will serve as your writing sample)
• Unofficial transcript
INTERVIEWS WILL BE HELD DURING THE WEEK OF AUGUST 31, 2015. WE WILL CONTACT ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.
ALL CANDIDATES MUST BE CURRENT OBERLIN COLLEGE STUDENTS IN FALL 2015.